Exploratory Shielded Metal Arc WeldingWELD 102
Addresses safety in arc welding, welding terms and definitions and electrode selection. Includes striking an arc and running boards. (10-5)
Outcomes and Objectives
Understand the theory of Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW).
- Discuss the significance of this welding process in manufacturing and industry.
- Discuss relationships with other welding processes.
Demonstrate appropriate safety practices and procedures.
- Discuss the value of the use of safety equipment.
- Identify proper protective equipment.
- Apply safety procedures in all laboratory activities.
Demonstrate appropriate equipment operation.
- Discuss the importance of proper equipment set-up.
- Apply proper procedures when setting up equipment.
Demonstrate proper techniques to complete tack welds.
- Discuss the value of proper body positioning, visual factors, material prep and positioning, and tacking.
- Strike an arc, and apply tack welds.