Women, Minorities, and the MediaSSI 229W
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: Any College Composition I course or higher with a grade of "C" or higher.
Examines the depiction of women and minorities in the mass media in contexts including television, film, print, and the Web. Studies media portrayal, employment, ownership, and access. Explores the individual and societal consequences of media representation. Credit may be earned in SSI 229W or EMB 229W but not both. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Demonstrate understanding of gender and ethnic issues impacting media coverage and representations.
- Identify stereotypes of women and minorities which are present in our society.
- Comtemplate the individual and societal consequences of media representations.
Demonstrate the ability to recognize gender and ethnic misrepresentations in the media.
- Critically examine the mass media for evidence of women and minority misrepresentation.
- Utilize a semiotic approach to deconstructing the utilization of women and minorities in mass media messages.
Demonstrate the ability to critique media coverage and representations.
- Contribute to analysis of the mass media by seeking out and presenting materials to the class which depict gender and/or minority stereotypes.
- Synthesize ideologies, regarding women and minorities, which are present in local mass media messages.