Pipefitters HandbookSKPT 106
Prerequisite: SKMA 097 or MTH 097 with a grade of "C" or better. Explores mathematical calculations including geometry and trigonometry. Includes: pipe bends, linear expansion of piping, tank capacities, leverage, methods of layout angles, pipe-fitting calculations, pipe-welding layout, and reference tables. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Understand plumbing symbols and associated piping configurations.
- Study and demonstrate plumbing vocabulary.
- Use some mathematics to solve set, run, and travel.
- Identify safe practices regarding piping systems and their relationship to plumbing code.
- Perform calculations for simple bends, wrinkle bends, single offset bends, double offset bends, and expansion bends.
- Show understanding through calculations of linear expansion of piping.
- Perform methods of laying out angles, squares, elliptical-shaped hole on steel plate, bolt holes on flanges, and ring gaskets.
Use basic mathematics and trigonometric functions to solve piping problems.
- Layout wrap around, two-piece 90 and 45-degree turns; four-piece 90 degree turns.
- Determine the length of cut pieces for three and four-piece 90-degree turns.
- Use and interpret reference tables to gather information about piping, fittings, and other fittings for piping systems.