Sheetmetal Layout ISKMT 171
Analyzes and develops geometrical structures, intersections by radial and triangulation methods of sheet metal layout, the drawing of development layouts, and the forming of actual models with sheet metal. Credit may be earned in one of the following: HVAC 142, RHA 142, or SKMT 171. (35-10)
Outcomes and Objectives
Use manual drafting equipment.
- Demonstrate uses of manual drafting tools to draw prescribed shapes to specifications.
- Demonstrate practical pattern drafting.
- Expands pattern to increased scale.
- Calculates increased scale using relevant geometry.
- Demonstrate competency with development of intermediate and advanced pattern development.
- Expand pattern to an increased scale while incorporating more complex structures.
- Uses nomenclature of pattern-making development and design.
- Demonstrate proper tool use in cutting and shaping of pattern designs.
Demonstrate knowledge of Mathematics and Geometry skills.
- Calculate the circumference of a circle.
- Divide a semicircle into equal parts.
- Determine true length lines to develop patterns using right triangles.
- Construct an equilateral triangle.
- Construct similar triangles.
- Draw a tangent from a given point on a circle.
- Bisect given angles.
- Draw similar and irregular triangles.
- Divide a line into any number of equal parts.
- Draw a circle and its properties.
- Construct hexagons, pentagons, and octagons.
Demonstrate knowledge of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning pattern development.
- Develop these objects.
- Develop these elbows.
Demonstrate knowledge of sheet metal equipment.
- Demonstrate safe operation of a shear.
- Demonstrate safe operation of a brake.
- Demonstrate safe operation of a Pittsburgh machine.
- Demonstrate safe operation of seam rolling machines.
- Demonstrate safe operation of spot welding machines.