HMI ProgrammingSKET 200
Prerequisite: SKET 252 with a minimum grade of "C". Builds on the skills developed in SKET 252 and applies the concepts learned to the programming of Human Machine Interface (HMI) systems. Includes topics of the programming, editing, uploading, and downloading of HMI applications. Creates HMI programs that will read data from a PLC and send information to a PLC. Designs the PLC programs to interpret the data from the HMI and send information to the HMI. Applies lecture subject material in the laboratory through the use of PLC/HMI training systems. Designs programs, analyzes the process, makes revisions to programs as necessary, and evaluates the proper operation of the PLC/HMI system. (30-30)
Outcomes and Objectives
Recognize and explain the operation of an HMI system.
- Identify and describe the function of the various ports on the HMI.
- Identify the wiring and the connections required to utilize a PLC to communicate with an HMI.
- Explain the programming requirements to incorporate pushbutton devices into an HMI program.
- Explain the programming requirements to incorporate graphic displays into an HMI program.
- Explain the programming requirements to display data on an HMI screen.
- Explain the procedures required to properly install an HMI system
Demonstrate ability to configure and use programming software.
- Configure, connect, and utilize a PLC to communicate with an HMI.
- Create HMI programs that will read data from a PLC and send information to a PLC.
- Design the PLC programs to interpret the data from the HMI and send information to the HMI.
- Demonstrate the ability to make program changes.
- Demonstrate the ability to upload and download programs.
Conduct laboratory experiments to reinforce lecture material.
- State, comprehend, and comply with safety precautions when working on electrical equipment.
- Design and test programs using the PLC/HMI training systems.
- Predict and analyze the proper operation of PLC and HMI programs.
- Demonstrate the ability to troubleshoot PLC logic programs and HMI applications. Apply modifications, if necessary, to obtain the desired results of the system.
- Evaluate the proper operation of the PLC program using programming software.
- Design, program, and troubleshoot PLC and HMI applications from a narrative description.
- Develop troubleshooting techniques.