Developing a Laboratory Based Research ProjectSCI 249A
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: READING LEVEL 2 and WRITING LEVEL 2 and MATH LEVEL 2 and Instructor permission.
Instructor permission is based on the student’s science background and knowledge. Exposure to the process of developing and refining a scientific question as the basis for scientific experimentation. Identification of an area of scientific interest, background knowledge in the field and research methods. Development of a research proposal that involves research and rationale, models of data that will be produced, budgetary evaluation, materials needed, time required and equipment to be used. Additional emphasis on the importance of laboratory safety, regulations, procedures and personal protection equipment. Beneficial to all science majors in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Engineering. (15-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Identify a viable scientific project in an area of scientific interest
- Identify a college and/or community professional to facilitate the research project.
- Demonstrate an understanding of problem solving and scientific research.
- Develop techniques and principles on how the research will be executed.
- Present (written and oral) clear explanations of the scientific work to be performed.
Demonstrate an understanding of how to develop and complete a research project
- Demonstrate skills in using scientific literature.
- Perform effective literature searches using current technologies and professional publications.
- Produce a research proposal that addresses relevant questions and scientific issues.
- Produce a proposal that contains clear scientific rationale and methods to investigate the problem.
- Produce a proposal with clear measurable outcomes, statistics and data analysis.
Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of laboratory safety and maintenance.
- Complete the agreement provided after reading the safety protocols and regulations of the science laboratory.
- Conduct safe lab procedures and recognize common laboratory hazards.
- Identify and locate all safety features within the laboratory (eye wash fountains, fire extinguishers, fire alarms fire blankets, etc.).
- Complete the agreement provided after reading the procedures of safe and ethical use of equipment and instrumentation used in the laboratory.
- Dispose of all waste materials properly (chemicals, sharps, broken glassware), if necessary review Safety Data Sheets.
- Use personal protection (e.g. goggles, gloves, lab coat) properly.
- Clean up all work areas and return all equipment to designated areas before leaving the laboratory.
- Report any accidents, incidents or breakages immediately.