Foundations of Scientific ResearchSCI 150
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: READING LEVEL 2 and WRITING LEVEL 2 and MATH LEVEL 2 and Instructor permission.
Provides the opportunity to carry out scientific research, integrating critical thinking with scientific principles, application of mathematics and professional skills. Explores academic skills and strategies needed for learning and success in science, technology, engineering and mathematics courses. Encourages writing, use of algebraic expression and computation to enhance learning. Requires completion of a final research report to include problem identification, procedure documentation, data analysis, and conclusions. (30-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Demonstrate competency in the skills and technology used in scientific research
- Develop experiments and conduct them.
- Analyze collected data, draw conclusions and communicate findings.
- Use common scientific instrumentation, equipment and computers to measure a variety of chemical and biological parameters.
- Explain the integral components of scientific enquiry.
- Demonstrate cooperation and collaboration in teamwork settings.
Demonstrate problem-solving skills and practice habits for enhancing academic skills.
- Interpret scientific documents.
- Formulate a scientific hypothesis and or algebraic equation.
- Evaluate and assess scientific results and draw logical conclusions.
- Identify basic writing and algebraic skills.
- Identify important time management and organizational skills.
- Identify common expectations of college courses and appropriate behavior.
Write a research/technical paper that effectively communicates scientific results.
- Present data in graphs, tables, figures and interpret scientific results.
- Compare scientific results to literature information and controls.
- Conclude appropriately from scientific observations and results.
- Assess the work and if it should be extended or provide reason for the lack of recommendations.
- Acknowledge specific people, including their title, who contributed significantly to the project.
Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of laboratory safety and maintenance.
- Complete the agreement provided after reading the safety protocols and regulations of the science laboratory.
- Conduct safe lab procedures and recognize common laboratory hazards.
- Identify and locate all safety features within the laboratory (eye wash fountains, fire extinguishers, fire alarms fire blankets, etc.).
- Complete the agreement provided after reading the procedures of safe and ethical use of equipment and instrumentation used in the laboratory.
- Dispose of all waste materials properly (chemicals, sharps, broken glassware), if necessary review Safety Data Sheets.
- Use personal protection (e.g. goggles, gloves, lab coat) properly.
- Clean up all work areas and return all equipment to designated areas before leaving the laboratory.
- Report any accidents, incidents or breakages immediately.
Record experimental work to promote learning of good laboratory practices
- Locate Safety Data Sheets as needed.
- Use a laboratory notebook to communicate experimental concepts and results.
- Record and analyze the data and results of an experiment.
- Produce reports to inform others of your progress in the laboratory.