Concrete and FoundationsRC 106
Prerequisite: ARC 101. Studies practical methods and procedures of preparing and setting concrete forms for such areas as basement floors, garage floors, driveways, sidewalks, patios, etc. (45-15)
Outcomes and Objectives
Gain knowledge of the basic components of concrete.
- Describe each basic component
- Illustrate the proportioning of the basic components
- Analyze the importance in the relationship of the proportioning of the components
Experience the testing of concrete qualities.
- Discuss the various test used to verify concrete quality
- Practice simple test during on-site projects
- Examine further testing at a concrete testing company
Learn the basic types of cements and understand their use.
- List five different types of cements
- Explain the use of each type of cement
- Discriminate between the use of cements and admixtures
Determine the importance of the concrete mixing water.
- Describe the properties of proper mixing water
- Illustrate the negative effects of poor mixing water
Comprehend the role of aggregates in concrete mix design.
- List the percentages of concrete aggregates
- Analyze how percentages impact strength of concrete
Understand the importance of concrete admixtures.
- List major concrete admixtures
- Illustrate the knowledge of the special use of admixtures
- Interpret the correct of incorrect use of admixtures
Compute proportioning for normal weight concrete.
- Describe the two basic batching methods for concrete
- Calculate the qualities for a sample batch
- Compare the accuracy of the two methods
Learn the placing and finishing of concrete.
- List the steps in the placing of concrete
- Illustrate the understanding and importance of each step
- Practice steps with fieldwork for Habitat for Humanity
Discuss the importance and advantages of proper concrete curing.
- Define what is proper curing
- Explain importance of curing in relation to concrete strength
Calculate the volume of various concrete structures.
- Calculate volume for footings and foundations
- Develop "cheat" numbers for volume problems