Introduction to Six SigmaQA 250
Prerequisite: QA 244. Introduces the first step toward successful implementation of Six Sigma improvement methodology, concepts, and language. Presents the Define-Measure-Analyze-Improve-Control methodology of improving existing processes and looking for incremental improvement. Uses case studies and examples drawn from healthcare, service, business process, and manufacturing applications. Addresses the integration of Lean Six Sigma. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Identify the benefits and implications of a Six Sigma program, and relate Six Sigma concepts to the overall business mission and objectives.
- Use Lean Six Sigma concepts in communications.
- Relate Lean Six Sigma concepts to the overall business mission and objectives.
- Demonstrates the need to improve organizational performance to meet the requirements of the marketplace.
- Use the concept of a Sigma Level to evaluate the capability of a process or organization.
- Describe your organization as a collection of processes, with inputs that determine the output.
- Demonstrate understanding of how Lean Methods and Six Sigma are integrated into a single process improvement initiative to achieve higher quality and greater process speed.
Recognize the five-step D-M-A-I-C model used to improve processes.
- Determine the organizational factors that are necessary groundwork for a successful Lean Six Sigma program.
- Recognize the organizational factors that are necessary groundwork for a successful Six Sigma program.
Use the concept of a Sigma Level to evaluate the capability of a process or organization.
- Create metrics for managing process performance.
- Create process improvements and customer satisfaction goals.
- Collect process data and develop process maps.
- Develop statistical hypotheses using simple statistical tools.
- Design simple experiments and/or implementation plans that help validate improvement options.
- Apply problem solving and quantifiable tools to an improvement project brought to class on the first day.
- Eliminate waste and defects by applying Lean and Six Sigma methodology.
- Collect, analyze, and quantify data that enable process improvements.
- Practice executing the Six Sigma methodology.