Physical Agents II LabPTA 205L
Prerequisite: PTA 102, PTA 120, PTA 120L, PTA 121, PTA 123W, PTA 123LW, PTA 124, PTA 125, PTA 125LW, and LWA 206B, each with a "C" (2.0) minimum grade. Concurrent enrollment in PTA 205, PTA 209, PTA 209L, PTA 210, PTA 210LW, PTA 213, PTA 213L, PTA 214W, PTA 216, PTA 222, and LWA 206C. Provides the technical skills necessary to perform electrical stimulation and other advanced modalities. Prepares the student to perform physical therapy intervention as part of a physical therapist's plan of care, under the direction and supervision of the physical therapist. (0-12)
Outcomes and Objectives
Demonstrate and perform a treatment plan regarding electrical stimulation.
- Describe and perform the various clinical setups including two pad, four pad, four pad reciprocal, and point electrode.
- Compare and contrast the appropriate use of the electrical stimulation equipment.
- Perform electrical stimulation treatments in combination with other modalities and exercise.
- Perform electrical stimulation treatments in a timely, safe, legal, and ethical manner.
- Document the treatment, response, and all related information after each treatment.
- Communicate with peers regarding electrotherapy.
- Respond to acute changes in physiological state and modify treatment program as appropriate and report these changes to the supervising physical therapist.
Perform the application of TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation).
- Describe and perform positioning for TENS application.
- Describe the sensation of TENS.
- Perform TENS application.
Perform the application of NMES/FES.
- Describe the sensation of NMES/FES.
- Perform NMES/FES application.
Perform the application of interferential electrical stimulation.
- Perform interferential applications.
Perform the application of direct current iontophoresis.
- Perform application of motor point stimulation with DC.
Perform the application of high volt and medium frequency electrical stimulation.
- Perform High Volt and Medium Frequency applications.
Perform the application of US with EMS.
- Perform US with EMS applications.
Implement appropriate action in emergency situations.
- Initiate BCLS procedures during mock emergency scenarios.
- Participate in mock disaster drills.
Discuss potential legal and ethical issues pertaining to course content.
- Describe an appropriate response to each legal/ethical clinical issue discussed in class.