Police Report WritingOAT 153
Concurrent enrollment in CJ 101, LWT 175, and LW 280. Requires a grade of "C" (2.0) or better to complete the Basic Police Training Academy. Develops and enhances writing skills necessary to law enforcement including preparation of police reports, incident reports, summaries of witness and complaint interviews, and criminal case summaries. Credit may be earned in OSE 153 or OAT 153 but not in both. (15-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Know spelling requirements.
- Demonstrate spelling ability
- Know where to find the correct spelling
Demonstrate word structure, syntax, content, and appropriate usage.
- Demonstrate proper word usage
- Demonstrate proper sentence structure
- Demonstrate proper syntax
- Demonstrate proper content
- Demonstrate active and passive voice
- Demonstrate proper verb use
The student will know how to write for different audiences.
- Write reports for criminal investigators, courts, media, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and traffic investigators.
- Usage of abbreviations
- Usage of synonyms and antonyms
Demonstrate intelligence gathering for reports
- Demonstrate appropriate use of who, what, why, where, how.
- Gathering proper facts for different report writing
- Asking questions, interrogation and interviewing
- Sketching and diagrams
- Use of photography
- Routing reports