Business Communication IOAT 151
Prerequisite: READING LEVEL 2 and WRITING LEVEL 3; and OAT 170 or equivalent touch typing and computer background. Includes principles and composition of effective basic business letters and memos as well as accuracy in grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, and format. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Demonstrate a familiarity with communication foundations.
- Explain communication process including nonverbal and verbal channels
- Demonstrate communication strategies appropriate for business relationships and problem solving
- Understand the significance of intercultural communication
- Examine electronic communication including but not limited to e-mail, teleconferencing, document processing, electronic research, social networks, and Internet
Access, analyze, and utilize information.
- Identify an information need
- Access electronic information utilizing the on-line card catalog, electronic indices, and Internet resources such as e-mail and the Web
- Analyze and evaluate the appropriateness of the sources
- Evaluate and utilize the information for letters and memos
Master basic writing skills using Standard English.
- Apply accepted grammar
- Use correct punctuation
- Develop well-constructed sentences
- Produce logical paragraphs
- Produce documents appropriate for business use
Demonstrate an understanding of the composition process.
- Define the purpose of the message, analyze the audience, establish the main idea, and choose the appropriate channel and medium
- Organize and formulate an accurate, concise, and coherent message in an appropriate tone
- Edit, rewrite, produce, and proofread the message
- Write some of the letters and/or memos in a proctored setting; e.g., in class, in the Testing Center, or in some other pre-arranged proctored setting.
Develop an understanding of the different message plans.
- Write a direct request appropriate for a given situation
- Write a routine, positive message appropriate for a given situation
- Write a bad news message appropriate for a given situation
- Write a persuasive message appropriate for a given situation
- Format personal and business letters
- Format memos
- Format e-mail messages
Demonstrate professionalism appropriate for the workplace.
- Attend class promptly and consistently
- Follow written and oral directions
- Complete and submit assignments on time
- Participate constructively in classroom activities
- Display civility toward other class members and the instructor
- Demonstrate academic integrity