Mental Health Nursing LabNUR 119LW
Prerequisite:NUR 101BW, NUR 101BLW or NT 163W, NT 163LW with a minimum grade of "C" (2.0). Concurrent enrollment in NUR 119W. Provides clinical opportunities to apply the ADN competencies of Human Flourishing, Nursing Judgment, Professional Identity and Spirit of Inquiry while providing nursing care for patients in selected mental health settings. Students will focus on the application of therapeutic communication techniques, psychiatric assessment skills, integration of psychopharmacology and the nursing process. For successful completion, a grade of at least a "C" must be earned in this course and concurrent theory course NUR 119W (lab grade will be the same as theory grade). Credit may be earned in NUR 119LW or NT 219LW, but not both. (0-45)
Outcomes and Objectives
Demonstrate Human Flourishing, Nursing Judgment, and Spirit of Inquiry while developing Professional Identity as an ADN to improve the quality of care for patients, families, and communities.
- Apply ethical and legal guidelines to mental health care and communications concerns regarding ethical dilemmas of mental health patients to appropriate personnel.
- Recognize significant information, seek clarification in the policy and procedure manuals and adds to plan of care.
- Identify diverse practices influencing health care outcomes from mental health patients.
- Use knowledge of holistic influences when providing care to mental health patients and their families.
- Interpret nursing literature for usefulness in care of mental health patients.
- Analyze and interpret assessment data to select priority nursing diagnoses for mental health patients.
- Develop an individualized plan of care with realistic and measurable goals, implements plan of care, and makes adjustments after consulting with instructor.
- Evaluate goals and revise plan of care with the input of instructor.
- Identify and demonstrate patient centered teaching, applying teaching/learning principles to mental health patients.
- Explain and demonstrate professional nursing behaviors.
- Participate as a team member to design, promote and model effective use of technology and standardized practices that support safety and quality.
- Administer and evaluate enteral, topical, intramuscular, subcutaneous and intravenous medications to mental health patients with required supervision, adhering to Medication Administration Assessment Tool.
- Adapt therapeutic communication techniques while caring for mental health patients and support systems in a confidential manner.
- Identify situations where patient advocacy may be indicated and suggests appropriate nursing interventions.
- Recognize and followsthrough with delegated tasks.
- Using a problem-solving approach, communicates to peers and other members of the health care team regarding the care of mental health patients.