Nursing Care and Management Throughout the Health Continuum LabNPT 270LW
Prerequisite: NPT 260BW and NPT 260BLW with a minimum grade of "C" (2.0). Concurrent enrollment in NPT 270W. Provides an opportunity to enhance entry level nursing practice when managing a group of adult patients in the acute care setting. Emphasizes specific knowledge, skills and attitudes of the ADN competencies of Human Flourishing, Nursing Judgment, Professional Identity and Spirit of Inquiry necessary for entry level nursing practice. For successful completion, a grade of at least a "C" must be earned in both this course and NPT 270W, the concurrent theory course (lab grade will be same as theory grade). (0-225)
Outcomes and Objectives
Demonstrate Human Flourishing, Nursing Judgment, and Spirit of Inquiry while developing Professional Identity as an ADN to improve the quality of care for patients, families, and communities.
- Manage and report concerns regarding quality of care and ethical dilemmas to the appropriate person.
- Collaborate with the multidisciplinary team to integrate policies and procedures for continuous quality improvement.
- Demonstrate and support health care provisions that incorporate diverse values and practices.
- Modify plan of care utilizing holistic influences.
- Select and utilize relevant data, working from evidence based practice findings.
- Analyze and interpret assessment data to evaluate and modify patients' priority nursing diagnosis.
- Collaborate with the patient, family, significant others and the health care team to determine and prioritize patient care goals and adjust plan of care.
- Evaluate goals and revise plan of care utilizing a multidisciplinary approach.
- Adapt and implement patient-centered teaching to meet patients' priority outcomes.
- Maintain integrity and serve as a professional role model to members of the nursing team.
- Minimize risk and harm to patients and providers through both system effectiveness and individual performance.
- Administer and evaluate enteral, topical, intramuscular, subcutaneous and intravenous medications for a team of patients with the required supervision, adhering to Medication Administration Assessment Tool.
- Demonstrate therapeutic communication while promoting an environment of patient-centeredness.
- Assess situations where patient advocacy may be required and supports patients' rights to make informed decisions.
- Implement components of delegation when managing a team of patients.
- Initiate collaborative interaction with peers and other members of the health care team in a collegial manner to promote quality patient care.