Applied Music Piano Major--FreshmanMUS 182
Prerequisite: Permission of music department. Private instruction/lessons provided and a minimum number of hours of weekly practice is required. A jury examination will be held at the end of each semester. (30-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Develop technical skills.
- Play all major and minor scales, 2 octaves, HT, as 8th notes with the quarter at 88-112.
- Play I-IV-I-V-V7-I cadences for all minor keys.
- Play cadence chords in all major keys-root in bass, rh. 3-voice close position in three positions (I in root position, I in 1st inversion, I in 2nd inversion.)
- Play all major and minor arpeggios, 3 octaves, as 8th note triplets with the quarter at 66-84.
Study classical piano repertoire and prepare for performance in jury.
- Prepare 1-2 technical etudes.
- Prepare 3 pieces, memorized, in contrasting styles and from 3 historical periods.
- Know repertoire: (minimum level same as MUS 181) Bach Little Preludes & Fugues or 2-Part Inventions or similar by other Baroque composer; Mozart or Haydn Sonata movement; Intermediate to Late intermediate Romantic and 20th Century literature (e.g., Chopin Waltzes, Khatchaturian Sonatina, Schubert Waltzes, Mendelssohn songs without words, Classics to Modern #37)