Applied Music Piano Major--FreshmanMUS 181
Prerequisite: Permission of music department. Private instruction/lessons provided and a minimum number of hours of weekly practice is required. A jury examination will be held at the end of each semester. (30-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Develop technical skills.
- Play all major scales, 2 octaves, HS/HT, as 8th notes with the quarter at 80-100.
- Play all major and minor triads and inversions.
- Play I-IV-I-V-V7-I cadences for all major keys.
- Play all major arpeggios, 2 octaves, standard fingerings.
Study classical piano repertoire and prepare for performance in jury.
- Prepare 3 pieces, memorized , in contrasting styles and from 3 different historical periods.
- Prepare 1-2 technical etudes.
- Know Repertoire minimum level: Bach Minuets, Marches, Polonaises; Classical Sonatinas by Clementi, Kuhlau, Haydn, Beethoven; 19th or 20th Century pieces by Schumann, Chopin, Mendelssohn, Bartok,
- abalevsky, and similar.
Perform for piano jury evaluation at end of semester.
- Play scales, chords, and arpeggios in 3-4 keys.
- Play 3 memorized pieces, 1 may be an etude.