Applied Music Piano Minor--FreshmanMUS 172
Prerequisite: Permission of music department. Private instruction/lessons provided and a minimum number of hours of weekly practice is required. A jury examination will be held at the end of each semester. (15-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Develop technical skills.
- Play all major and white key minor scales, 2 octaves, as 8th notes with quarter at 60-80, HT.
- Play minor triads and inversions, HS/HT.
- Play I-IV-I-V-V7-I cadences for all major keys.
- Play all major and white key minor arpeggios, 2 octaves, HS/HT.
Study classical piano repertoire and prepare for performance in jury.
- Prepare 3 pieces, memorized, in contrasting styles and from 3 historical periods.
- Know the Repertoire: same as MUS 171 for minimum; also suggested, Classics to Modern #17 or 27, Bastien Literature 1 & 2, or similar.
- Prepare 1 or more technical etudes.
Perform for piano jury evaluation at end of semester.
- Play scales, chords, and arpeggios in 2-3 keys.
- Play 2 pieces, both memorized.