Classical GuitarMUS 137
Prerequisite: MUS 135 or permission of instructor. Nylon-string classical guitars are recommended. Introduces techniques and repertoire of the classical guitar and students will perform a variety of simple repertoire pieces from different historical style periods. Emphasizes solo and ensemble playing. Teaches rest stroke, free stroke, arpeggio technique, proper posture and positioning, reading music in 2 parts, and basic expressive interpretation. (30-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Read and perform guitar music.
- Read and play treble clef notes from E to g2.
- Relate written notes to positions on guitar.
- Read music in two parts on a single staff.
- Read simple chord voicing.
- Play single note melodies from classical repertoire.
- Play 2-part pieces.
Manipulate the right hand in plucking the guitar strings.
- Execute proper right hand thumb motion and movement.
- Execute proper right hand index, middle, and ring finger movement in rest and free s strokes.
Demonstrate basic playing technique.
- Demonstrate correct posture and playing position.
- Demonstrate correct left hand movements.
- Coordinate right and left hand movements simultaneously.
Understand basic musicianship.
- Identify phrases.
- Identify and execute changes of timbre.
- Identify and execute dynamics.