Contemporary Guitar StylesMUS 136
Prerequisite: MUS 135 or permission of instructor. Student must provide own instrument. Utilizes rock, jazz, blues, and other songs to teach contemporary guitar styles. Uses tablature and chord charts extensively. Teaches scales and chords according to the needs of each style covered. Improvises over simple progressions in each of the above styles.(30-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
- Read 6-line guitar tablature.
- Relate numbers and symbols to positions on the guitar.
Read chord and scale charts.
- Read, understand, and execute basic major minor, and 7th chords.
- Read, understand, and execute single position major, minor, and pentatonic scales from scale grids.
Improvise over a simple chords progression in different styles.
- Play major, minor, and pentatonic scales fluently over a I-IV-V-I chord progression.
- Play blues, rock, and jazz style "riffs" over I-IV-V-I chord progressions.
Perform several songs from each style: blues, rock, and jazz.
- Execute a 12 bar blues song using appropriate chords, scales, and riffs.
- Execute a rock song from tablature using chords, scales, rhythms, and riffs.
- Execute a jazz song reading from chord charts, using appropriate scales, chords, and riffs.