Fundamentals of GuitarMUS 135
Introduces basic written music notation, simple chords, strumming patterns, and right hand fingerstyle patterns. Performs a variety of traditional and popular songs. Enriches music skills for students and teachers. (30-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Read and perform guitar music.
- Read and play treble clef notes from E to g2.
- Read simple chord voicing.
- Read and play simple chord charts.
Perform simple chords.
- Execute all open position major and minor chords.
- Execute select dominant seventh chords.
- Execute 2 and 3-string barre chords.
Play songs with right hand finger-style and strumming methods.
- Execute simple upstroke and down stroke strumming with a plectrum.
- Execute right hand index, middle, ring, and thumb strokes in a variety of simple patterns.
Perform several folk and traditional songs.
- Execute appropriate strumming or finger-style patterns for the rhythm of individual songs.
- Execute chords for songs from a simple chord chart.
- Understand and execute proper rhythm and tempo of given songs through strumming or finger-style.
- Accompany oneself and others singing of standard songs.