Music Theory IIMUS 127
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: MUS 126 with a minimum grade of "C", or permission of instructor.
Concurrent enrollment in MUS 129 is recommended. Identifies advanced musical patterns found in melody, harmony, and form and those using intervals, scales and chords in all major and minor keys. Analyzes advanced musical compositions in order to comprehend harmony and form/structure. Composes advanced tonal melodies, harmonies, and progressions. Course designed for music majors. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Identify advanced musical patterns.
- Analyze tonal melodies.
- Identify tonal harmonies.
- Understand advanced formal structures of music.
- Identify musical intervals.
- Identify tonal scales and triads.
Compose music using advanced musical elements.
- Compose melodies using appropriate intervals.
- Compose tonal harmonies.
- Compose advanced harmonic progressions with voice leading.
Analyze advanced written musical scores.
- Provide harmonic analysis for an advanced tonal composition.
- Identify formal structural elements of a composition.