Music Theory IMUS 126
Prerequisite: MUS 110 with a minimum grade of "C", or permission of instructor. Concurrent enrollment in MUS 128 is recommended. Identifies and composes basic musical patterns found in melody, harmony, and form. Writes basic intervals, scales, and triads in all major and minor keys. Identifies basic tonal melodies, harmonies, progressions and form. Course designed for music majors. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Identify basic musical patterns.
- Analyze tonal melodies.
- Identify tonal harmonies.
- Understand basic formal structures of music.
- Identify musical intervals.
- Identify tonal scales and triads.
Compose examples of music using basic musical elements.
- Compose melodies using appropriate intervals.
- Compose tonal harmonies.
- Compose basic harmonic progressions with voice leading.
Analyze basic written musical scores.
- Provide harmonic analysis for a basic tonal composition.
- Identify formal structural elements of a composition.