The History of Rock and Roll: From Its Origins to 1980MUS 119W
Develops an interest and respect for the origins and growth of Rock and Roll music in the United States and Europe through the focus on recordings and videos that documented its progress. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Identify rock music from different decades and regions, and the relationship of the musical and cultural forces that shaped it.
- Understand fundamental approaches and influences used in the development of rock music, and be able to identify song structures and instrumentation.
- Analyze ensemble playing and musical influences from different styles and recognize the similarities and differences.
- Review the cultural and political influences and the effect on the development of rock music.
Research, access, and apply knowledge gained from this course.
- Access and apply readings from the text, Internet and magazine articles to the listening of the music in the form of written papers and classroom discussions.
- Analyze the music and develop an appreciation and respect for innovators of themusic and their musical influences.
- Research background information on different artists and relevant cultural influences that will help put the music into a historical context.
Demonstrate the ability to listen effectively by reading and responding through writing and analysis of the music.
- Compose written critiques on each musical section, which include a discussion of song context, instrumentation and cultural backdrop.
- Identify some of the important individuals and groups, and their contributions to rock and roll. Some of the primary figures will include Bill Haley, Elvis Presley, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Byrds, Pink Floyd and Can.
- Develop an understanding and appreciation of the differences between live and recorded music.
- Speak, write and formulate informed conclusions on musical pieces based on in class listening, discussion and evaluation.
- Compare and contrast the musical forms of different eras and regions.
Tie the history and the evolution of rock and roll to the technological advancements in the music industry.
- Review the influences that media and technology has brought to the different phases of development of rock music.
- Analyze ensemble playing and the impact of amplification of the instruments to the music's growth and its popularity.
- Review musical developments that have been the result of the development of radio, television and recording studio production.
- Discuss the concept of music as a carrier of social messages.