Music CompositionMUS 103
Prerequisite: MUS 100. Explains fundamentals of composition, including notation, melodic construction, melodic dictation, functional harmony, basic music theory and analysis. Uses knowledge of fundamentals to create a musical composition. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Manipulate pitch and rhythm as they relate to the construction of melodic content.
- Construct basic melodic motives utilizing varying pitch degrees (scaler and intervallic).
- Construct intermediate melodic sentences by combining motivic ideas.
Read, write, and perform basic melodic ideas.
- Show comprehension by demonstrating various basic melodies in their construction and content.
- Compare and contrast melodic ideas with respect to meters, modes, and melodic contour.
Develop a comprehensive analysis of functional melody and harmony.
- Explore various compositions and provide a brief harmonic and melodic analysis.
- Employ analytical techniques to create a musical composition.