Prerequisite: MATH LEVEL 2. Provides preparation for algebra. Includes fractions, decimals, integers, ratios, and percentages with an introduction to equations, graphs, and functions. May receive credit in only one of the following: MTH 106 or MTH 096 or SKMA 096 or SKMA 101. Does not earn credit toward graduation. (30-15)
Outcomes and Objectives
Solve a variety of real world problems.
- Solve real world problems involving integers, fractions, decimals, percents, proportions, perimeter and area, measurement, linear equations, and the Pythagorean Theorem.
Compute with demonstrate understanding of integers,fractions and decimals.
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide integers.
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide fractions.
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide decimals.
- Simplify numerical expressions using the order of operations.
Demonstrate an understand of the meaning of ratios, rates, proportions, percents, exponents, and square roots.
- Set up and simplify ratios and rates.
- Solve proportions.
- Carry out fraction, decimal, and percent conversions.
- Solve percent equations.
- Evaluate square roots and exponents.
Estimate and judge answers.
- Estimate sums, difference, products, and quotients of integers, fractions, or decimals.
- Estimate the percent of a number.
- Identify an approximate answer to an application problem prior to working it out.
Perform basic algebraic operations.
- Use the Distributive Law.
- Combine like terms.
- Evaluate algebraic expressions.
- Simplify algebraic expressions using the order of operations.
- Solve simple linear equations.
Construct and interpret graphs.
- Construct bar graphs and line graphs.
- Interpret bar graphs, pie charts, and line graphs.
- Understand the Cartesian (rectangular) coordinate system.
Explain mathematics effectively.
- Use mathematics terminology effectively in writing and speaking.