Basic MathematicsMTH 092
Prerequisite: MATH LEVEL 1. Provides a foundation in arithmetic. Covers four fundamental operations of whole numbers, fractions, and decimals. Includes percentages, ratios, proportions, and applications. Does not earn credit toward graduation. (30-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Solve a variety of real world problems.
- Solve real world problems involving whole numbers, fractions, decimals, percents, proportions, perimeter and area, and measurement.
Compute with and understand the meaning of whole numbers, fractions, and decimals.
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers.
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide fractions.
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide decimals.
- Simplify numerical expressions using the order of operations.
Work with and understand the meaning of ratios, rates, proportions, and percents.
- Set-up and simplify ratios and rates.
- Solve proportions.
- Carry our fraction, decimal, and percent conversions.
- Solve percent equations.
Estimate and judge the reasonableness of answers.
- Estimate sums, differences, products, and quotients of whole numbers, fractions, or decimals.
- Estimate the percent of a number.
- Identify an approximate answer to an application problem prior to working it out.
Communicate effectively about mathematics.
- Use mathematics terminology effectively in writing and speaking.