Machine Tools IMS 181W
Prerequisite: MS 113 or instructor permission. Introduces the manufacturing facility. Utilizes safety, materials, hand tools, precision instruments, drill presses, lathes, mills, pedestal grinders, and saws. Studies fundamentals and procedures to provide an understanding of manufacturing processes. Demonstrates greater knowledge of machine tool practices and applies that knowledge to educate others. Credit may be earned in MS 114 or MS 181 or SKTR 181 but not more than one. (30-60)
Outcomes and Objectives
Practice safe working habits.
- Identify proper work attire and personal protection items.
- Demonstrate safe work habits when operating equipment.
Demonstrate knowledge of semi-precision and precision measuring tools.
- Demonstrate the proper use and care of measuring tools.
- Measure accurately to a tolerance of + .002" given a set of mic's.
- Understand the basic layout techniques.
Identify various kinds of drilling machines.
- Match listed types of drilling machine with lettered illustrations of each.
- Identify various kinds of sawing machines.
Perform various drilling operations.
- Drill holes with a center line tolerance of 1/64".
- Adjust the speed to the desired setting on belt drive, geared drive, and variable speed drive drill press.
- Select proper tools for various drilling applications.
Perform common operations on an engine lathe.
- List four of the basic operations done on an engine lathe.
- Identify, on a drawing or picture, three different types of lathe work holding devices.
- Calculate the correct rpm, given the fpm and the diameter, using the cutting speed formula.
- Demonstrate how to properly set a quick-change gear box for a particular feed or thread.
- Set up and turn diameters, shoulders, undercuts and threads.
Recognize a variety of milling machines.
- Identify correctly the type of milling machine with an accuracy of 85% after being given a series of pictures.
Identify various milling cutters.
- Name and give typical uses of milling cutters after being given illustrations of each.
Operate a milling machine correctly.
- Demonstrate a variety of different machining skills by completing assigned projects to specifications.
- Select proper speeds for specific machining operations.
- Select proper work holding devices.
- Tram the head of the vertical mill.
- Indicate a vise within tolerance.
- Set up and operate a boring head.
- Use precision measuring instruments to measure to tolerances of .001".