Human Resources Management IMGT 256
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: ENG 111 or OAT 151 either with a minimum grade of "C".
MGT 153 is also recommended. Explains human resources management; the environment in which human resources management must operate; contemporary legal guidelines; human resource planning and recruitment; developing effectiveness in human resources through training, development, and appraisal; and creating a productive work environment through motivation, communication, leading and directing. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Demonstrate an understanding of the human resources management.
- Describe why it is important to study human resources management
- Identify and explain at least three competitive challenges effecting human resources management
- Describe demographic and employee concerns as related to human resources management
- Explain the partnership of line managers and the human resources department(s)
Demonstrate an understanding of equal employment opportunity.
- Identify and explain the historical perspective of EEO legislation
- Explain government regulation law pertaining to equal employment opportunity
- Describe sexual harassment in the workplace and methods of curtailing it
- Describe government agencies and methods used in enforcing equal employment opportunity legislation
Demonstrate an understanding of job requirements and employee contributions.
- Explain the relationship of job requirements and human resources management functions
- Explain the process of job analysis
- Describe job design and its impact on human resources management
Demonstrate a familiarity with human resources planning and recruitment.
- Discuss the importance of human resources planning
- Identify and explain elements of effective human resources planning
- Describe the benefits and limitations of recruiting within the organization
- Describe the methods used in recruiting outside the organization
Demonstrate an understanding of the selection process in human resources management.
- Describe the concept of matching people and jobs
- Explain the sources used to obtain information about job candidates
- Discuss the purpose and methods of the employment interview
- Describe considerations involved in reaching a selection decision
Demonstrate an understanding of human resources training.
- Discuss the systems approach to training
- Explain the process involved in conducting a training-needs assessment
- Discuss considerations in designing a training program
- Explain methods for management development
Demonstrate an understanding of career development in the workplace.
- Discuss the elements of career development programs
- Describe career development and its impact on management development
- Describe the process of personal career development
Demonstrate an understanding of appraising performance.
- Describe the purpose of a performance appraisal
- Explain the process of developing an effective appraisal program
- Describe at least three performance appraisal methods
- Describe methods and consideration factors of the appraisal interview
Demonstrate an understanding of employee rights and discipline.
- Describe employee rights in the workplace
- Identify and explain disciplinary policies and procedures
- Explain at least one method used in appealing disciplinary actions
- Explain organizational ethics in employee relations