Principles of SalesMGT 145
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: READING LEVEL 2 and WRITING LEVEL 2.
Emphasizes the marketing concept and the importance of personal selling for those engaged in the marketing of products, services or ideas. Includes an analysis of the steps in a sales proposal. Classroom presentations by students required. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Demonstrate an understanding of personal selling and the marketing concept.
- Describe the contributions of personal selling to the global economy.
- Define personal selling and discuss personal selling as an extension of the marketing concept.
- Describe the evolution of consultative style selling from the marketing era to the present.
- Define strategic selling.
- Define partnering and discuss how it relates to the quality improvement process.
- Describe the personal benefits that can be derived from developing the skill of selling.
- Discuss why ethical considerations are important in personal selling.
Demonstrate an understanding of how to negotiate buyer resistance.
- Describe common types of buyer resistance.
- Outline general strategies for negotiating buyer resistance.
- Discuss specific methods of negotiation buyer resistance.
Demonstrate an understanding of how to close and confirm the sale.
- Describe the proper attitude to display towards closing the sale.
- List and discuss selected guidelines for closing the sale.
- Explain how to recognize closing clues.
- Discuss selected methods of closing the sale.
Demonstrate an understanding of what is involved in servicing the sale.
- Discuss the importance of servicing the sale.
- Explain how customer service can stimulate repeat business and referrals.
Be aware of career opportunities in selling today.
- Discuss the rewarding aspects of personal selling careers.
- Describe the opportunities for women and minorities in the field of personal selling.
- List the characteristics of selling positions in the areas of service, retailing, wholesaling, and manufacturing.
- Describe the work environment of four persons employed in the field of personal selling.
- Discuss personal selling as an auxiliary activity.
- Identify the four major sources of sales training.
Demonstrate an understanding of the factors influencing the relationship-building process.
- Explain the importance of developing a relationship strategy.
- Define partnering and describe the partnering relationship.
- List the four key groups with which the salesperson needs to develop relationship strategies.
- Discuss how self image forms the foundation for building long-term selling relationships.
- Describe the importance of a double-win relationship.
- Identify and describe the major nonverbal factors that shape our sales image.
- Define surface language and discuss three keys to appropriate dress.
- Discuss how voice quality and good manners can affect relationships.
- Describe conversational strategies that help us establish relationships.
- Explain how to establish a self-improvement plan based on personal development strategies.
Demonstrate an understanding of how product information is acquired.
- Explain the importance of developing a product strategy.
- Identify reasons why salespeople and customers benefit from thorough product knowledge.
- Discuss the most important kinds of product and company information that should be acquired by salespeople.
- Describe how knowledge of competition improves personal selling.
- List major sources of product information.
- Explain the difference between product features and buyer benefits.
- Demonstrate how to translate product features into buyer benefits.
Demonstrate an understanding of buyer behavior.
- Discuss the meaning of a customer strategy.
- Explain the complex nature of customer behavior.
- Discuss the social and psychological influences that shape customer buying decisions.
- Discuss the power of perception in shaping buying behavior.
- Distinguish among different types of buying motives.
- Distinguish between patronage and product buying motives.
Demonstrate an understanding of how to develop a prospect base.
- Discuss the importance of developing a prospect base.
- Identify and assess important sources of prospects.
- List criteria for qualifying prospects.
- Explain how to organize your prospect information.
- Describe the steps in developing a prospecting and sales forecasting plan.
Demonstrate an understanding of how to approach the customer.
- Discuss the basic steps of the preapproach.
- Explain how to effectively approach the customer.
- Name five ways to convert the prospect's attention and arouse interest.
Demonstrate an understanding of how to create the consultative sales presentation.
- Describe the characteristics of the consultative sales presentation.
- Explain how to determine the prospects needs.
- Discuss the use of questions to determine needs.
- Select products that match customer needs.
- Present general guidelines for developing effective presentations.
Demonstrate an understanding of how to custom fit the sales demonstration.
- Discuss the important advantages of the sales demonstration.
- Explain the guidelines to be followed when planning a sales demonstration.
- Be able to complete a demonstration worksheet.
- Develop selling tools that can strengthen your sales presentation.
- Discuss how to use audiovisual presentations effectively.