Principles of AdvertisingMGT 143
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: READING LEVEL 2 and WRITING LEVEL 2.
Provides a broad view of advertising from the marketing and consumer point of view. Historical background, economic and social aspects, roles of advertising, advertising stages, target marketing, media, using selected behavioral science information in advertising, and obtaining proper advertising appeal are included. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Demonstrate a familiarity with the history of advertising.
- Describe the development of product promotion.
- Describe advertising and the American industrial revolution.
- Describe the emergence of responsible advertising.
Demonstrate an understanding of the use of newspapers as the largest source of advertising revenue.
- Discuss newspaper readership trends.
- Describe newspaper marketing techniques.
- Discuss options available to advertisers.
- Discuss the significance of weeklies and ethnic publications.
Demonstrate an understanding of the use of magazines and their dependence on narrowly defined audiences who have common interests.
- Describe the evolution of magazines from a mass to class medium.
- Discuss cost and selectivity considerations
- Discuss magazine options available to advertisers.
- Describe the differences between business and consumer magazines.
Demonstrate an understanding of the use of out-of-home advertising as the oldest form of promotion, dating to prehistoric times.
- Discuss outdoor as a supplement to other media
- Describe the image of outdoor advertising.
- Describe the formats of out-of-home and transit.
- Describe the measurement of the outdoor audience.
Demonstrate an understanding of the use of direct-response and direct-mail advertising as one of the fastest-growing segments of advertising and promotion.
- Discuss the direct marketing social factors.
- Discuss the privacy issues and the future of direct response.
- Describe computer technology and database marketing.
- Describe telemarketing and home shopping.
- Define specialized techniques of direct mail.
Demonstrate an understanding of research in advertising as an informational tool.
- Define account planning.
- Discuss the need for marketing research.
- Describe the research steps in advertising.
- Discuss the types of advertising research.
Demonstrate an understanding of creating advertising copy and why great advertising copy is essential to great advertising.
- Describe the nature and use of appeals.
- Define advertising elements.
- Define copy style.
- Define slogans.
- Describe the structure of an advertisement.
- Describe the creative work plan.
Demonstrate a working knowledge of the complete advertising campaign that fits into the total integrated marketing communication program.
- Conduct a situation analysis.
- Create objectives and strategy.
- Develop media objectives.
- Develop the sales promotion plan.
Demonstrate an understanding of the roles of advertising.
- Describe advertising as a marketing communication tool.
- Define advertising and the marketing mix.
- Discuss advertising as both consumer and trade communication.
Demonstrate an understanding of advertising planning.
- Identify the elements of the advertising spiral.
- Discuss the advertising spiral as a management tool.
- Define brand equity.
Demonstrate an understanding of target marketing.
- Define prime prospects.
- Discuss trends to watch.
- Define niche marketing and positioning.
- Define demographics and psychographics.
Demonstrate a familiarity with the advertising agency and other media services.
- Define an agency.
- Describe how agencies were developed.
- Describe a full-service agency.
- Discuss other advertising services.
Demonstrate a familiarity with the advertiser's operation.
- Discuss how advertising budgets are set.
- Describe the agency/client relationships.
Demonstrate an understanding of basic media strategy.
- Define media planning.
- Describe new technology and media options.
- Discuss unique characteristics of each media.
- Describe components of the media plan.
- Discuss the balance between media effectiveness and efficiency.
Demonstrate an understanding of the use of television as a leading advertising medium.
- Describe television rating services.
- Discuss the various segments of the industry.
Demonstrate an understanding of the use of radio as the most fragmented of all major media.
- Describe radio's transition from a mass to selective medium.
- Discuss the lack of visual element of radio.
- Describe the rating system in radio.