Introduction to MeditationLWT 212
Provides an overview of the history and purpose of meditation. Introduces students to the practice of various meditation techniques. Emphasizes the role of meditation for concentration, relaxation, stress relief, and personal and spiritual growth. (15-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Understand the elements of meditation.
- Read relevant material such as introductory meditation texts, articles, and Internet postings.
- Demonstrate understanding of the elements of meditation through discussion of relevant issues, e.g., questions regarding concentration, mental self-control, the diverse definitions and practices of meditation, etc.
- Write competently about the elements of meditation.
Apply meditation techniques in various ways and situations.
- Read relevant materials about meditation techniques.
- Demonstrate understanding, through discussion, of meditation practices and techniques.
- Practice several meditation techniques, including one technique in some depth.
- Write competent reports, reflections, and questions regarding the practice of meditation.
Synthesize an intellectual understanding of meditation with practice.
- Read critically and write clearly about meditation.
- Learn to choose wisely among various approaches to meditation.
- Develop a meditation practice that is personally relevant.