Water Safety InstructorLWT 185
Prerequisite: Current American Red Cross Emergency Water Safety or Lifeguard card and swimmer level skills. Provides theory and techniques in aquatics, practice teaching, water safety, survival swimming, swimming program development and pool and waterfront administration. Certification as a Water Safety Instructor may result upon satisfactory completion of the course. Credit may be earned in LW 185 or LWT 185 but not in both. (0-30)
Outcomes and Objectives
Describe and explain the concepts and components of Water Safety Instruction.
- Describe and explain the appropriate teaching methods to be implemented by a swimming instructor.
- Describe and explain the proper methods for developing lesson plans for level one through seven swimming classes.
Demonstrate the concepts and components of Water Safety Instruction.
- Develop lesson plans for swimming classes, levels one - seven.
- Demonstrate a level six swimming skill proficiency, as well as teach the following swimming skills:
- Demonstrate, as well as teach, required fundamental rescue skills as established by the American Red Cross Community Water Safety Program.
- Demonstrate the teaching of infant and pre-school swimming classes.