Bicycling for FitnessLWA 204
Introduces the fundamentals of cycling as a means to obtain or improve current levels of health or conditioning. Emphasizes cardiorespiratory health, muscular strength/endurance, flexibility, and body composition. Includes selection and maintenance of equipment, pedaling, and correct techniques of gear shifting. Student must furnish any type of bike (road, hybrid, or mountain). (0-30)
Outcomes and Objectives
Explain the concepts and components of bicycling.
- Identify the major components and parts of a bicycle.
- Describe and explain the proper rules of the road for bicycling,
- Describe and explain the proper care for a bicycle.
- Describe the proper setup of a bicycle to "fit" the rider.
- Know and explain the differences in the bicycles.
Demonstrate the concepts and components of bicycling.
- Prepare bicycle for proper setup and safety inspection.
- Have and use safety equipment while riding - helmet and gloves.
- Demonstrate proper riding techniques.
- Demonstrate an increase of cardiopulmonary fitness through: