Water AerobicsLWA 183
Introduces the basic concepts of water resistance and incorporates them into an individual fitness program that promotes strength, flexibility, and aerobic capacity. Swimming skills not required. Credit may be earned in LW 183 or LWA 183 but not in both. (0-30)
Outcomes and Objectives
Describe and explain the concepts and components of Water Aerobics.
- Describe and explain the positive elements of the relationship between nutritional habits and a regular fitness program.
- Describe and explain at least five of the benefits of water exercise in terms of reducing joint stress.
- Describe and explain a minimum of five benefits to the cardiovascular system that result from water aerobics.
- Describe and explain the four components of a water exercise program.
- Describe and explain the concept of target heart rates and recovery during exercise.
- Describe and explain the importance of recording eating habits in a journal on a daily basis.
Demonstrate the concepts and components of Water Aerobics.
- Demonstrate the ability to find and take their pulse both before and after aerobic activity.
- Demonstrate the proper use of aqua bells for the purpose of increasing arm strength.
- Demonstrate the proper use of a water belt in deep water.
- Demonstrate the proper use of water fins and gloves for the purpose of increasing cardiovascular fitness/efficiency.
- Develop and perform a water aerobics routine of 60 minutes.