Swimming IILWA 173
Prerequisite: LWA 172. Introduces theory and practice of the five basic swimming strokes (front crawl, side stroke, elementary back stroke, and breast stroke). Emphasizes water safety skills and knowledge. Credit may be earned in LW 173 or LWA 173 but not in both. (0-30)
Outcomes and Objectives
Describe and explain the concepts and components of Swimming II.
- Describe and explain Newton's laws of motion and how these laws apply to swimming.
- Describe and explain how the form drag, wave drag and body drag affect swimming.
- Describe the benefits of developing a fitness-swimming plan.
- List the safety rules of swimming.
- Describe and explain a minimum of five of the physical fitness benefits of swimming on a regular basis.
- Describe and explain the benefits of keeping a journal of their swimming progress.
Demonstrate the concepts and components of Swimming II.
- Demonstrate the following swimming strokes:
- Demonstrate the following methods for entering the water.
- Demonstrate the following safety skills:
- Develop a personal fitness swim plan.
- Maintain a progress journal.
- Demonstrate an ability in endurance swimming by successfully completing an 18 lap swim.