Provides total body strengthening, stretching, and conditioning through Pilates-based mat work to achieve overall fitness and improved health. Focuses on the attainment of core strength in the abdomen and trunk. Includes specific exercises concentrating on the use of breathing patterns to help control movement, and visual imagery to engage the mind and body together. Credit may be earned in LW 158 or LWA 158 but not in both. (15-15)
Outcomes and Objectives
Define and explain concepts and components of Pilate's-based mat work exercise.
- Describe the five health-related components of fitness and give examples of activities that, when performed, meet criteria for improving each component.
- Define and explain the philosophy behind Pilate's-based mat work, including the importance of visual imagery and breathing.
- Explain the nine principles of Pilate's-based mat work.
- Explain the importance of a warm-up and cool-down to physical activity.
- Identify the following large muscle groups and give examples of strengthening and stretching exercises for: quadriceps, hamstrings, biceps, triceps, rectus abdominis, latissimus dorsi, gastrocnemius, gluteus maximus, pectoralis major, deltoids.
Demonstrate key components and concepts of Pilate's-based mat work and pre-Pilate's warm-up exercises.
- Demonstrate how to take, monitor, and calculate personal heart rate.
- Demonstrate a minimum of 30 minutes of pre-Pilate's warm-up activities.
- Demonstrate a minimum of 30 minutes of Pilate's-based mat work exercises using proper form and safe technique.