Step AerobicsLWA 157
Incorporates bench stepping to enhance cardiorespiratory endurance and muscle tone using the aerobic principle. Emphasis on the importance of fitness and a healthy lifestyle is also applied. Credit may be earned in LW 157 or LWA 157 but not in both. (0-30)
Outcomes and Objectives
Describe and explain the concepts and components of Step Aerobics.
- List and describe the components of Physical Fitness and how a Step Aerobics class can improve each one.
- Define and describe cardiac output and stroke volume as it relates to cardio respiratory conditioning.
- Define and describe calories, carbohydrates, fat, protein, and list recommended daily allowances.
- Define and describe the aerobic and anaerobic energy systems and identify activities that use each of them.
- Describe and define the basic muscular anatomy of the human body.
- List the benefits from regular participation in an aerobic program.
- Define and describe Maximum Heart Rate, Resting Heart Rate, Metabolism, and Target Heart Rate.
- Describe the importance of a warm-up and cool-down to physical activity.
- Recognize and describe various myths related to health and fitness.
Students can demonstrate the concepts and components of Step Aerobics.
- Demonstrate how to calculate percent of calories from protein, fat, and carbohydrates in a diet.
- Demonstrate how to take, monitor, and calculate personal heart rates.
- Choreograph and instruct a segment of a Step Aerobics classincorporating safe techniques.