Provides an introduction to a non-aggressive martial art stressing use of spiritual energy, self-cultivation, mutual respect, and skills of self-defense. Credit may be earned in LW 115 or LWA 115 but not in both. (0-30)
Outcomes and Objectives
Describe and explain the concepts and components of Aikido I.
- Describe and explain the origins and disciplines associated with Aikido.
- Explain the physical and mental benefits of practicing Aikido.
- List and understand the reasons and benefits of flexibility, strengthening, and stretching activities in Aikido.
- Describe and explain throwing, grappling, and releasing techniques associated with Aikido.
- Describe and explain the physical and universal laws to safe, self-defensive use of weapons in Aikido.
- Study and explain the process of discipline used to link mind, body, and spirit in Aikido and everyday life.
Demonstrate the concepts and components of Aikido I.
- Perform basic stretching, strengthening, and flexibility exercises.
- Perform the following basic practice techniques:
- Perform basic techniques relating to:
- Demonstrate the safe performance of weapons to include: