Jogging For FitnessLWA 110
Introduces jogging as a means to obtain or improve current levels of health or conditioning. Emphasizes jogging to impact cardiorespiratory health. Uses aerobic endurance activities involving training techniques, skilled pacing, weights, calisthenics, proper stretching, and nutritional information to provide a complete exercise program. Credit may be earned in LW 110 or LWA 110 but not in both. (15-15)
Outcomes and Objectives
Discuss jogging as an activity mode to enhance the components of physical fitness.
- Discuss or explain the relationship between stroke volume and heart rate on improved cardiac output after participation in a progressive jogging program.
- Differentiate between jogging and running and list the benefits of participation in a jogging program.
- List and describe the five components of physical fitness and explain how a jogging regime can assist the improvement of each component.
- Describe the important purpose of warm-up and cool-down and its relationship to improved flexibility in a jogging for health or fitness program.
- Differentiate between the aerobic and anaerobic energy systems and explain the ratio of both when developing a jogging program.
- Classify the types of muscle contractions: isometric, isotonic, isokinetic, concentric, and eccentric that will improve jogging performance for health or fitness.
- Identify the factors in training that differentiate muscular strength from muscular endurance when developing a jogging program.
- Describe and explain the Food Guide Pyramid and list the caloric values of each energy source in relationship to improved body composition.
Demonstrate the concepts and components of a jogging program.
- Demonstrate how to palpate, monitor, and calculate heart rates using Karvonen's heart rate reserve method.
- Demonstrate various fitness exercises using safe and appropriate techniques.
- Implement/complete a personal training program that can improve all the components of fitness for life.
- Maintain records of a jogging/training log notebook.