Fitness for LifeLWA 101
Introduces basic concepts underlying fitness and wellness as they relate to optimal healthful living using a wide variety of aerobic conditioning and resistance training techniques. Credit may be earned in LW 101 or LWA 101 but not in both. (0-30)
Outcomes and Objectives
Describe and explain the concepts and components of Physical Fitness.
- List and describe the physiological benefits of a fitness program.
- List and describe the five components of physical fitness and fitness activities that will improve each component.
- List and describe muscular anatomy of the human body and identify exercises that can be done to isolate and strengthen each muscle group.
- Describe the purpose of a warm-up and cool-down and their importance to a fitness program.
- Recognize various myths associated with fitness products and information.
- List the fitness assessment tests that are used to measure the components of fitness.
- Describe the food guide pyramid; list the different energy sources and their caloric values.
- Define and describe fitness terminology.
- List and describe various fitness exercises and identify the muscles being used.
Demonstrate the concepts and components of Physical Fitness.
- Demonstrate how to take, monitor, and calculate personal heart rates.
- Demonstrate various fitness exercises using safe and proper technique.
- Maintain daily class records of the developing fitness program.