Legal Support Internship ILSP 260
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: ENG 111 (or OAT 151), LSP 110W, LSP 115 and LSP 120 all with a minimum grade of "C" (2.
0), and permission of LSP Coordinator. Completion of all Legal Support Professional required courses prior to this course is highly recommended. Requires forty (40) hours of work experience in a law or law-related office. (0-15)
Outcomes and Objectives
Practice procedures to assist in a legal setting.
- Draft and answer complaints, interrogatories, and requests for production of documents.
- Perform investigation and fact-gathering.
- Perform data organization, control, and recovery.
- Draft motions, requests for admission, mediation summaries, and judgments.
- Prepare for and assist at trial.
- Prepare for appeal.
- Arrange for transfer of asset ownership in accordance with estate plans.
- Use the law library for legal research including computer-assisted legal research.
- Locate and interpret applicable statutory and case law.
- Organize research and write a legal memorandum summarizing findings.
- Schedule appointments and depositions.
- Handle general office correspondence including telephone usage.
- Maintain follow-up systems including due dates for documents to be filed.