Library Research SkillsLIB 195W
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: Reading LEVEL 2.
Develops information literacy for success with college-level academic research. Credit may be earned in LIB 195W or ENG 195W but not in both. (30-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Access information effectively to help solve a particular problem, make a decision, or answer a specific question.
- Access and utilize a variety of print and electronic resources.
- Develop search strategies for a range of information sources.
Analyze and evaluate information effectively using appropriate means.
- Identify information needs and determine if the information source is appropriate for meeting information needs.
- Analyze information for use in solving problems, making decisions, answering questions, and writing for an academic audience.
- Evaluate information resources for credibility and bias.
Learn to use information in a variety of settings.
- Begin research for reports or other projects in a discipline.
- Understand the ethics of acting upon information (i.e., plagiarism, copyright).
- Write bibliographic citations using a consistent standard reference style.
Participate in "writing to learn" activities
- Perform writing tasks to promote learning.
- Write effectively for a specific audience and purpose.
- Demonstrate the learning of concepts through writing.