Conflict TransformationIHU 274
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: READING LEVEL 2 and WRITING LEVEL 2.
Introduces conflict management, resolution, and transformation. Identifies and practices approaches, methods and techniques to manage, resolve and transform conflicts. Utilizes simulations and role plays to practice and refine not only knowledge of conflict management techniques but skill in applying them. Can be taken as either IHU 274 or SSI 274, but not both. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Identify and analyze the influence of factors attributed to conflict.
- Identify different types of conflict.
- Identify different stages of conflict while assessing issues of power, inequity, exploitation and damage or harm.
- Identify, analyze, and evaluate the relative role that each of the following play in any given conflict, including but not limited to:
Identify various techniques in managing, resolving, and transforming conflict.
- Explain the difference between competitive and collaborative negotiation.
- Describe methods to build collaboration with other negotiators.
- Demonstrate effective listening skills.
- Identify and interpret nonverbal aspects of communication.
Demonstrate the ability to apply conflict management and resolution techniques to conflict situations.
- Identify mediation techniques likely to be effective at managing and/or resolving specific conflicts.
- Demonstrate the ability to flexibly apply multiple models of conflict resolution and mediation to any given conflict.
- Demonstrate an understanding of persuasive techniques (power, relationship, etc.) and manage them effectively in mediating, transforming and resolving conflict.
Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively in a variety of formats.
- Communicate ideas clearly through formal and informal written assignments, formal presentations and group debates.
- Demonstrate the skills needed to effectively communicate with people who have different value systems, or different backgrounds, in small and large group discussions.