Advanced Fire AdministrationFST 332W
Examines the organization and management of the fire service. Discusses new technologies, deployment of resources available, personnel and equipment costs, municipal fire protection planning, statistics and reporting systems, training and finances. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Acquire various skills that are fundamental for successful administration, exercise sound management judgment and proficiency in applying modern management theory and practices.
- Examine history and evolution of management theory related to fire service
- Discuss management goals vs. reality of change and new technology
- Describe planning, organizing, coordinating and controlling a fire department
- Examine the main functions inherent to measuring fire service effectiveness
- Discuss administration of emergency medical, fire investigation, suppression, prevention, hazardous materials, dispatchers, etc.
- Discuss training and personnel development
- Discuss budgeting, records management systems, planning, etc.
- Describe labor relations, hiring practices, motivation, discipline, and human resource management
- Discuss future trends of fire service administration