Introduction to French FictionFR 275
Prerequisites: Prerequisites: READING LEVEL 3; and FR 212, or four semesters of college-level French, or four years of High School French, any with a grade of C or better, or permission of instructor.
Introduces representative literature from the Francophone world (Europe, Africa, and the Americas). Reads, discusses, and writes about selected novels, plays, short stories, or poetry. Expands knowledge of Francophone culture. Conducts course in French. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Demonstrate expressive and receptive skills appropriate to the intermediate level in French.
- Read and demonstrate understanding of selected literary texts in French.
- Respond emotionally and analytically to selected literary texts, and to the emotional and analytical responses of others.
- Demonstrate the ability to write in French, using grammatical concepts, correct syntax, and appropriate vocabulary.
- Use French vocabulary appropriate to the oral and written discussion and interpretation of literary texts.
- Use a variety of tenses and vocabulary to discuss and write about the literary texts.
- Develop strategies for decoding unfamiliar French vocabulary.
Compare and contrast differences between one’s own culture and Francophone cultures.
- Identify several French-speaking countries and regions.
- Describe the connections between French language and Francophone culture in the classroom and in the global community.
- Compare and contrast some of the differences between the cultural information contained in the selected texts and the students’ culture.
- Examine and explain one’s attitudes about Francophone culture as described in the readings.
- Develop the ability to make sensitive cultural comparisons.