Advanced ScreenwritingENG 259W
Prerequisite: ENG 258W. Builds from skills learned in ENG 258W. Explores character, plot, and dialogue development as they relate to screenwriting. Focuses on the completion of a short film screenplay or first thirty pages of a longer work. Includes peer critique, instructor comments, and extensive revision. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Complete original short film screenplay or first act of longer screenplay.
- Write premise, ask major dramatic question, construct movie map, and compose short film screenplay or first act of longer screenplay.
- Direct practice with plot point one, mid-point, plot point two, climax, and resolution.
- Practice the art of scene writing and action triggers as they relate to complete work.
- Develop the craft of a screen writer.
Revise and edit original work.
- Rewrite work in an effort to improve it.
- Demonstrate an understanding of revision.
Interact productively with instructor and peers for the purpose of developing writing skills.
- Give and receive verbal and written responses to student work.
- Demonstrate an open attitude towards feedback.
Learn by reading professional screenplays.
- Demonstrate ability to understand a professional screenplay and discuss its strengths.