Creative Non-FictionENG 256
Prerequisite: A "C" grade or better in a college level composition II course or permission of instructor. Requires students to draw on personal experiences and viewpoints to produce a range of writing, and read and respond to published works of creative nonfiction. Includes reading memoirs, autobiographies, journals, essays, and other subjective literary forms. Emphasizes both generating and revising writing. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Plan and draft works of creative nonfiction.
- Generate original works of creative non-fiction.
- Write creative non-fiction in a variety of forms.
- Demonstrate ability with the elements of creative non-fiction (e.g. truth related to memory, scene development, character development, handling of exposition, external and internal dialogue, authentic detail, etc).
Revise and edit original creative non-fiction.
- Rewrite essays effectively.
- Use the processes of revising and editing essays.
Participate effectively in workshops and/or conferences with the instructor.
- Give and receive verbal and written responses to creative non-fiction.
- Demonstrate a receptive and invested attitude toward feedback, both given and received.
- Apply verbal and written feedback constructively.
Read and understand a range of creative non-fiction.
- Identify elements of creative nonfiction in professional essays.
- Think critically about individual essays, verbally and in writing.