Creative Writing: FictionENG 254
Prerequisite: A "C" grade or better in a college level composition II course. Focuses on the writing of fiction--chiefly short stories. Develops understanding of fiction and personal fiction writing abilities. Completes other classroom activities, discussions and writing assignments, requiring analysis and criticisms of other students' work. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Plan and draft a work of fiction.
- Generate original works of fiction.
- Demonstrate ability with the elements of fiction (e.g. conflict, character development, handling of exposition, dialogue, interior landscape, authentic detail, etc).
Revise and edit original short stories.
- Rewrite stories effectively.
- Use the processes of revising and editing stories.
- Revise stories over the course of the semester.
Participate effectively in workshops and/or conferences with the instructor.
- Give and receive verbal and/or written responses to fiction.
- Demonstrate a receptive and invested attitude toward feedback, both given and received.
- Apply verbal and written feedback constructively.
Read and comprehend a range of fiction.
- Identify elements of fiction in professional stories.
- Think critically about individual stories, verbally and in writing.