Creative Writing: PoetryENG 253
Prerequisite: A "C" grade or better in a college level composition II course. A course in the writing of poetry. Students are encouraged to develop their own poetry writing skills and understanding. In addition to other classroom activities, there are discussions and writing assignments. The instructor may also choose to require analysis of published poetry and criticism. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Generate original poetry
- Write poems about a range of subject matter.
- Write poems using a variety of traditional, modern, and contemporary forms, e.g. free verse, sonnets, haiku, etc.
- Write poems using a variety of devices, e.g. metaphor/simile, imagery, rhyme and rhythm, etc.
Revise and edit original poems
- Rewrite poems effectively.
- Use the processes of revising and editing poetry.
- Revise a body of work.
Participate effectively in workshops and/or conferences with the instructor.
- Give and receive verbal and written responses to poetry.
- Demonstrate a receptive and invested attitude toward feedback, both given and received.
- Apply verbal and written feedback constructively.
Read and understand a range of poetry, especially by contemporary poets.
- Identify various elements in particular poems, e.g. metaphor, rhyme, sound qualities, etc.
- Think critically about individual poems, verbally and in writing.