Poetry in PerformanceENG 233
Prerequisite: Writing Level 2. Includes Spoken Word and Visual Poetry. Develops performance poetry writing skills and understanding. Includes discussions, writing assignments, and other classroom activities. Requires analysis of published performance poetry and criticism. (45-0)
Outcomes and Objectives
Generate original performance poetry
- Write performance poems about a range of subject matter.
- Write performance poems within the context of the contemporary moment.
- Write performance poems using a variety of poetic devices (e.g. metaphor/simile, imagery, rhyme and rhythm,etc).
Employ the processes of revising and editing poetry
- Revise performance poems effectively.
- Edit performance poems effectively.
Interact productively with instructor and classmates in Workshop
- Give and receive verbal and written responses to poetry.
- Demonstrate a receptive and invested attitude toward feedback, both given and received.
- Apply verbal and written feedback constructively.
Perform poetry for an audience
- Identify target audience for original performance poetry.
- Stage or help stage performance of original poetry for target audience.
- Choose, practice and effectively deliver for performance of original poetry for a designated target audience.
Demonstrate an understanding of a range of performance poetry.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the historical and contemporary contexts of performance poetry.
- Analyze published performance poetry.